♥ First up, briefly tell us a little bit about yourself!
I have been hooked on personal development ever since my Dad gave me the book ‘Coach Yourself’ after I graduated from school. The desire to really “find myself” was ignited so after a couple years of deliberation (aka fear) I moved to London to begin the search! I loved the cosmopolitan city that never sleeps and everywhere I went, even if it was just on the underground train to work – there was a sense of excitement. That you really can be whoever you want in this city and accepted for it. Moving back to Perth after the cold grey winters got the better of me and my business idea Fusion Life was born.
I wanted to bring a slice of London to Perth, to show the up and coming women that Perth can also be a place of excitement with lots to do. So day to day I now run Fusion Life which involves organizing personal/professional development and networking events in the city and updating the website with articles and tips on how to live a balanced lifestyle and make the most of our beautiful Perth!
♥ Tell us about your daily beauty routine.
I have always liked to experiment with different beauty products and very rarely purchase the same product twice. As my Fusion Life motto goes – balance is key and I like to keep trying new things on my ultimate search for a perfect balance!
Although I do have some faves of course:
• Palmers Cocoa Body Butter – yummy chocolatey scent and very nourishing.
• Aveeno Positively Radiant Face Moisturiser – natural as my face doesn’t need any more chemicals.
• Clarins One-Step Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser – face scrub gentle enough to use every day.
• Moroccan Oil Hair Treatment – everyone loves this for a reason! Helps condition and add shine to my newly blonde hair.
• Maybelline Nude Airfoam Moisturiser – like mousse for the face – goes on light and fluffy but gives me amazing coverage!
Other activities that make their way into my beauty routine include:
• After my morning shower I always moisturize from head to toe.
• Use exfoliation gloves over my entire body at least twice a week.
• Drink lots of water throughout the day and take my daily Swisse Women’s Ultivite Multivitamin. If I don’t drink water I definitely notice the difference in my skin.
♥ What’s the one beauty treatment you can’t live without? And your favourite place to have it done?
Of course you can’t go past a nice relaxing massage or facial. This helps to radiate beauty from the inside out. If I’m relaxed this shows in my care free and peaceful nature. I must admit I haven’t been to many in Perth lately, I was in Bali last year and loaded up on the treatments! If I were to have a massage or facial in Perth I would go to my brilliant beautician Corinne at The Beauty Chamber in Attadale.
♥ Who do you trust with your hair in Perth, and why?
Jelosia – Amanda and Steph, they were recommendation by my beautician and my mum! About 11 months ago I decided to go blonde for the first time ever, I was a little nervous to see if it would suit me but the girls at Jelosia helped me gradually go from dark (almost black) to a nice golden blonde which I love. Their foils are right to the root and very fine so you get a great even colour. Blonde’s definitely have more fun!
♥ Favourite budget / at home beauty treatment?
Love the facemask Formula 10.0.6 Deep Down Detox Ultra-Cleansing Mud Mask this is very affordable and makes my skin glow. Also doesn’t cause me to break out like I have a tendency to do with other facemasks. Also love to exfoliate my whole body with exfoliation gloves – makes my skin feel amazingly soft and smooth!
♥ Your three, absolutely cannot live without, favourite products?
1. Clarins One-Step Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser – this is gentle enough to use every day and gets all the make-up off as well as making my skin look vibrant.
2. Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus Hair Treatment – after going blonde my hair was so dry and seemed to snap off every time I combed it! After being used to long healthy brunette locks, the thinning blonde hair was very scary. I tried a few different treatments and nothing was working, my hair kept snapping! Then a good friend introduced me to the Redken Protein Treatment and my hair is becoming healthier every time I use it. Yay I can stay blonde!
3. Maybeline Unstoppable Eyeliner Onyx – I have used this ever since I discovered makeup and now if I don’t wear it I feel like I’m missing something!
♥ Do you have any secret tips you use to keep looking / feeling great?
It’s not really a secret – but the two things that really keep everyone alive are… oxygen and water! So when I wake up every morning I try to drink a big glass of water and take 5 deep belly breaths. This along with some gentle stretching puts me in the right frame of mind to conquer the day with peak energy and vitality. So my main tips are:
1. Breathe properly – this means breathing in deep, extending your stomach to get maximum lung capacity, hold for a few seconds and release slowly. Instant stress reliever, try it now!
2. Drink lots of water all through the day – add lemon if you’re feeling extra healthy, the lemon helps to alkalise your body (the less acidic your body is – the better you will feel)
3. Get moving – we’re not designed to sit in a chair for 8 hours. I know it’s cliché but take the stairs, get off the bus a few stops away from your house, take regular breaks from the computer – it all helps. Even better find a sport that you love or a running partner to keep you motivated.
Implement those 3 simple things every single day and you will definitely notice the difference to your energy levels – no coffee required!
♥ What beauty treatment/ wellbeing activity would you love to try but haven’t yet? (Due to time, money, scared etc!)
I really need to try dry body brushing. Apparently this is like a detox for the skin and a few of the many benefits include:
• Removal of dead skin layers which leaves the skin looking more vibrant
• Reduction of cellulite
• Aids digestion
• Strengthens the immune system
• Increases the flow of blood which tightens the skin and prevents premature aging
And it is easy, inexpensive and invigorating to do. If it’s good enough for Miranda Kerr it’s good enough for me!
♥ Describe a typical day of eating for you.
I normally wake up and have a big glass of water to kick start the day. Then I have a shot of wheatgrass which helps to keep my body more alkaline (as opposed to acidic.) This helps with the energy levels throughout the day.
I start work early at 7am so have something simple like muesli and yoghurt for breakfast. I love a bit of crunch so like to add almonds as well.
Lunch will usually be a tuna salad with whatever veggies are taking my fancy that week! Again I love the crunch so will add some walnuts or crunchy Asian noodles. If I haven’t had time to make my lunch the night before I always have a few of the John West Tuna & Bean salads in the fridge for lazy times. Yes I love my tuna ☺
My favourite easy dinner is pan-fried salmon or chicken with mashed sweet potato, broccoli, asparagus and corn. I will have this most nights provided I am not out or if my boyfriend is over we try to cook new meals to spice up the menu – always with lots of veggies!
♥ Describe your fitness routine.
I am currently training for the Mooloolaba Olympic distance triathlon in March next year with a few friends, which means lots of running and riding – I’ll be starting the swimming training next week now that it has warmed up a bit! So I run at least 5 km 3 times a week and ride to work 2 days a week.
Luckily I have a training partner that I work with and that is great motivation to not skip out the lunchtime run! We also train together sometimes on the weekend – last one was a 40km bike ride followed by a 6km run which was a real test to my fitness but so worth it! I also make sure I stretch most mornings and after every exercise session.
♥ Do you take part in any alternative therapies or take supplements? If so, discuss.
I take the Swisse Women’s Multivitamin, which gives me all the vitamins, and nutrients I have missed out on in my diet that day. This is the first multi vitamin I have taken regularly that I have actually felt the difference in daily life.
I have also just started taking another dietary supplement called E3 Live. The benefits of which include: ability to manage everyday stress; increased energy and endurance; improved attention and alertness; and strengthened immune system. After a week I am definitely noticing the difference and crossing lots more off my ‘to do’ list!
♥ How many hours sleep do you usually get each night? Do you have any bedtime rituals or tips to help you get a great nights sleep?
I am lucky and have always been able to sleep well. I have recently completed a Fatigue Management course and was profiled as needing to get 8-10 hours sleep for maximum energy during the day! I certainly don’t get that but do try for at least 7 hours every night. I definitely notice the difference if I don’t, and snooze the alarm a few more times! There are some good tips on the Fusion Life website for learning how to wake up earlier in the mornings.
♥ How do you like to relax? What are your favourite ways to de-stress?
When I walk out of a Les Mills Body Balance session I feel so calm and relaxed! I love it because it is a mix of pilates, tai chi, yoga and meditation and I never get bored with the routine. Either that or having a nice glass of Sauvignon Blanc with friends or family will do the trick! Life is all about balance 😉
Thanks to Ashley for sharing her routine with us – if you have any questions for her, please leave them in the comments section below!